Silly putty has been around since we were kids, remember the red egg?!?! It was so much fun to play with when we were younger, so you know your kids will love it just as much now! What is even more fun is to make your own! You can make it any color you desire and will have fun making it and playing with it!
If your children are old enough you can tell them the science behind the homemade silly putty: Glue has molecules that slide past each other easily; when you add the Borax it causes the molecules to stick together which turns the glue into a rubbery putty!
What you will need:
- 1 bottle of glue (Preferred brand: Elmer’s®, you will have to alter the recipe using other brands)
- Measuring cup
- Food coloring
- Plastic zip top bags
How to make homemade silly putty:
- Pour entire bottle of glue into a mixing bowl
- Add warm water to the empty bowl, replace the cap, and shake.
- Measure out 1/2 cup of water from the glue bottle
- Add a couple drops of food coloring
- Add 1 teaspoon of Borax***
- Stir until the glue becomes stringy
- Use your hands to mix the rest until it is desired consistency.
- Store in plastic bag to keep fresh
***We tried Roseart® brand glue too and had to add 2 1/2 teaspoons of Borax. Other brands may require more or less Borax, the stickier the putty the more Borax you need.
Check out all of our fun kids activities here.
Have you made homemade silly putty before?
More from Bellies Babies and Beyond: