Preschool Activities for the Letter J
What you will need:
Jelly Bean Science Experiment
What you need –
How to –
- Talk about how an experiment works, and have them come up with what they think will happen with the jellybeans.
- Fill the ice cube tray with water, have your child add one jelly bean to each part of the ice cube tray.
- Freeze until the ice cubes are solid.
- Pop the ice cubes out of the tray and observe!
**We have done this experiment several times and there is a range of results, the kids always love seeing what happens. This time, the jelly beans turned white and the ice turned colors, but I have seen where the jelly beans completely dissolve.
JellyFish Paper Bag Puppet
- Brown paper lunch bag
- Googly eyes
- Blue, purple, and pink paint
- Have your child paint the paper bag with several colors of paint, let dry.
- You or your child can cut strips in the paper bag to act as tentacles.
- Glue the googly eyes to the bottom of the bag.
- Card stock or construction paper [white works best]
- Orange and yellow paint
- Black marker [Sharpie works best if supervised]
- Optional – Mix the yellow and orange paint to create an orangy-yellow
- Paint your child’s hand
- Press their hand onto the paper with the four fingers down and thumb out [will be the head]
- Let the paint dry
- Using a marker draw spots like a jaguar, a face, and feet
**If you want to see pictures and learn about jaguars, this is a good site.
Jumping Beans Painting
- Jumping beans or regular dried beans
- Plastic container
- Paint – your choice of colors
- Construction paper or card stock [white works best]
- Cut the paper to fit into the plastic container
- Have your child dip a bean into paint like a paint brush
- Drop the bean onto the paper, put on the lid and shake! [If you have jumping beans you don’t have to shake]
Do you have a favorite letter J activity? Share it with us below!