This version of Italian Beef is the best one I have ever had, it is the biggest crowd pleaser, too! I never get a complaint and hardly ever have leftovers, and not to toot my own horn but I have been told “I get so excited when you have us over for dinner, everything you make is so delicious!” It always makes me feel great to make a meal that everyone loves and this one is it! The recipe came from my college roommate’s mother, she is a fantastic cook and so graciously has always given me her recipes! I remember the first time I had it, we were home and Big G had made it, the day before, it was in a plastic zip top bag and we all had forks digging in, it was cold and quickly became one of my favorites. For some reason, I can never remember how easy it is, and don’t make it often enough but I made it last night and it was just as good as I remember!
What you need:
- 3-4 pound chuck roast
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 package of the onion soup mix (I use Lipton brand)
- 2 packages of dry Italian dressing mix (find this next to the dressings)
- 1/4 cup of white vinegar
- 1 clove of roughly chopped garlic
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup of water (I start with 3/4 cup and if it needs more liquid add more later)
- 3/4 jar of banana peppers
How to make it:
Combine all ingredients except banana peppers in your slow cooker. Cook on high 6 hours then low for 2 hours or low 10 hours and then add banana peppers for the last 2 hours. Serve on hoagie rolls with some mayo!